Amazon

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

It is unfortunate that we don’t want to learn from history.  I shall extract a portion of history.  Alexander the Great, met a great sage Diogenes.  Their dialogue is as follows:
Diogenes “Where are you going and for what?”
Alexander “I am going to conquer Asia minor first, then India, then the whole world.”
Diogenes “What will you do after you have conquered the world?”
Alexander “Then I will rest and relax”.
Diogenes burst into loud laughter, called his dog and said “listen to this mad king, he would like to rest after he conquers the world” and told Alexander “If rest is your ultimate objective why not join me and my dog right now on this beautiful river bank?  There is enough space for us all.  Why are you going to create so much trouble and disturbance around the world just to rest at the end?  You can rest right here and right now.
Alexander said “What you say seems to be sensible.  But I cannot rest now.  Let me first conquer the world.”
All of us are in the same plight.  I am running because my friends are running.  What is the destination, I don’t know.  My friends who are  running also do not know their destination.  I don’t want to lag behind.
 What is the purpose of runing.  Ultimately the purpose is I want to take rest and relax just as great Alexander wanted.   What Diogenes said makes  sense to me also.  But I cannot rest now.  I have to run.




1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of a quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson, made famous by AEROSMITH in one of their songs, "Life is a journey, not a destination"
    The running still doesn't make sense when we stop worrying about the destination though!! LOL

    ReplyDelete